Texas Senate Bill 1580 (SB 1580r)
An Act relating to the creation of the Texas Violent Gang Task Force.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Chapter 61, Code of Criminal Procedure, is amended by adding Article 61.07 to read as follows:
Art. 61.07. TEXAS VIOLENT GANG TASK FORCE
(a) In this article, "task force" means the Texas Violent Gang Task Force.
(b) The purpose of the task force is to form a strategic partnership between state, federal, and local law enforcement agencies to better enable law enforcement and correctional agencies to take a proactive stance towards tracking gang activity and the growth and spread of gangs statewide.
(c) The task force shall focus its efforts on:
(1) developing a statewide networking system that will provide timely access to gang information;
(2) establishing communication between different law enforcement agencies, combining independent agency resources, and joining agencies together in a cooperative effort to focus on gang membership, gang activity, and gang migration trends; and
(3) forming a working group of law enforcement and correctional representatives from throughout the state to discuss specific cases and investigations involving gangs and other related gang activities.
(d) The task force may take any other actions as necessary to accomplish the purposes of this article.
(e) The Department of Public Safety shall support the task force to assist in coordinating statewide anti-
(f) The task force shall consist of:
(1) a representative of the Department of Public Safety designated by the director of that agency;
(2) a representative of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice designated by the executive director of that agency;
(3) a representative of the Texas Youth Commission designated by the executive director of that agency;
(4) a representative of the Texas Juvenile Probation Commission designated by the executive director of that agency;
(5) a representative of the Criminal Justice Policy Council designated by the executive director of that agency;
(6) a representative of the Office of the Attorney General designated by the attorney general; and
(7) three local law enforcement or adult or juvenile community supervision personnel and a prosecuting attorney designated by the governor.
SECTION 2. Not later than October 1, 1999, the Governor, the Attorney General, the Director of the Department of Public Safety of the State of Texas, and the Executive Directors of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, the Texas Youth Commission, the Texas Juvenile Probation Commission, and the Criminal Justice Policy Council shall designate their respective representatives to the Texas Violent Gang Task Force created under Article 61.07, Code of Criminal Procedure, as added by this Act.